What Can I Have With Me In Therapy
Going to rehab isn't exactly a vacation but it pays to know what to bring and what things are permitted inside the treatment facility.
What you can carry to rehabilitation is subject to clinics' severe regulations. Majority of facilities give you a list of permitted and prohibited items.
You will be admitted to the clinic as you get to the rehab where the entrance process will start. Your clinic's welcome staff will check your bags to guarantee safety and that nothing forbidden is sneaked through. All the details of what you came in with will be recorded in the patient property book.
You can carry the necessities with yourself. Every clinic has rules on additional items.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Knowing The Packing Requirements Of Your Rehab
Most rehab centres have their own website featuring a "What to Pack" webpage, where you will find information regarding what is allowed. You can check the FAQs if such packing information does not have a dedicated webpage. Some centres are known to offer packing checklists, which is printable that you can refer to while packing. If you are still unable to find the information required you are advised to contact the admissions office of the rehab. You will have all of your queries and doubts clarified. They can also provide you the information regarding the procedure for the admission along with providing you an explanation for their policies if you have any concerns.
The Things That Are Necessities In Many Rehabs
It is a given that rules vary from one centre to another, others are still while others are a bit lenient.
Majority of centres advise patients to bring these
- A list of names, addresses and telephone numbers of people you wish to have involved within your treatment [loved ones, healthcare professionals, twelve-step sponsors, etc.].
- Jewellery that means the most value to you just like an engagement or wedding ring.
- On the contrary, keep your valued objects at your dwelling.
- An alarm clock.
- In other facilities, all necessities are provided and you are required to bring only yourself.
- You can also carry any prescription medications which you are presently using provided that they are in their original pharmacy bottle, and the original information from the label is intact.
- All the medicines must be up to date and prescribed by a certified doctor.
- A complete list of your maintenance drugs and other needed medications.
- Some cash can also be carried in small amounts £50-£100 in smaller bills for vending machines and store runs.
- Bring along your credit cards or check book for settling the payment for new medications.
- Identification cards and insurance cards where they are necessary.
- A calling card [if the facility chosen by you needs them for long-distance phone calls].
- A notebook or newspaper.
- Envelopes and stamps.
- Photos of your family members and friends.
- Reading materials like books however, some centres provide them to you.
- In case you insist on bringing your own reading material, they are to be recovery related, self-help and spiritual materials.
- TIP It is recommended that you carry just paperback books because they are easy to carry around than hardcovers.
What Clothes For The Centre
It is common for rehabs to have strict dress policy in place and that's why you should check with the centre first. In case where you are not sure, consider to bring articles that you can use in layering in case of cold weather.
You have to bear in mind that the sizes of the rooms in the facility may not be as big as your room at home.
Attire for a week is sufficient as you should be able to wash your clothing in a laundry machine at your centre. It is best to take along only those clothes that can be cleaned easily.
You should carry along about seven days of comfortable and with appropriate clothing, including the following
- Shoes Bring the shoes that you feel comfortable in .
- Shirts You need to make sure you bring the shirts that are allowed in that facility, tank tops need to be accompanied by cardigans.
- Shorts These also need to be suitable to comply with the centres dress code.
- Dressy outfits for special occasions like the family night will also be useful.
- Bathing suit Choose one-piece suits for woman and trunks for men.
- A coat / jacket.
- A bath robe.
- A belt, if needed.
- Caps or hats, although they may not be allowed indoors.
Hygiene And Beauty Products That Are Acceptable
Rehab centres require every toiletries and beauty products to be free absolutely from alcohol. However, these requirements varies from one centre to another. Aerosols are not allowed
You should be taking along 30-day requirements of toiletries and beauty products, including
- A toothpaste and toothbrush
- Hair gels
- Feminine wash or hygiene products
- Shaving cream
- Body lotion
- Sun cream
Items Not To Take To Rehab
A severe set of regulations and forbidden objects are present in every clinic. The prohibited items are not allowed to keep you safe and on the path of recovery Prohibited items vary by the centres but the following items are almost always banned
- Drugs and alcohol
- Sedatives or forbidden prescriptions
- Sharp objects and weapons
- Foods and drinks
- Alcohol based toiletries and personal effects
- Electronic cigarettes
- Unapproved and previously opened medication (even if it is prescribed)
- Nail products
- Video games and movies in any media
- Sport equipment
- Revealing attire (tank tops, sleeveless shirts, midriff bearing tops, etc.)
- Ammonia, bleach, and other stuff used in cleaning
- Electronic products
- Candles and incense
- Clothes with crude statements or photos of drug, violence, or alcohol on them
Games and playing cards, video games and DVDs, and sporting apparatus may leave you wondering. The recovery procedure usually requires maximum concentration and that is why some items are not allowed. The centre houses most such items and you will enjoy access to them as per the guidelines of your centre.
You will also find that food from outside and drinks are banned because the centres maintain a moderate sugar and caffeine environment. You will get 3 main meals, along with snacks and beverages. You should look forward to notifying your rehab before being admitted if you have any special dietary requirements.
Items Which Some Facilities Allow And Some Do Not
Each rehab has its own rules which may be different to that of another rehab. You may wonder but some centres allow these items inside the facility
- Your Laptop and Smartphone
- However, the access of these items will be regulated as per the policy of your centre.
- You must ensure that you do not forget your power cords.
- Some facilities will allow you to bring in cigarettes if you are a smoker.
- However, you may be restricted in the number of cigarettes you are to take in a day.
- Vitamins and Over-The-Counter Medications
- OTC medications should be brand new.
- It must be unopened and sealed.
- MP3 and CD Players
- Any electronic devices with no internet connectivity features are also allowed.
- Cameras are allowed by some treatment centres.
- Due to their dangerousness, razors may be forbidden in certain clinics.
- The rehab you check in might allow some type of shaving equipment.
- Nail Clippers
- Nail clippers may be banned by some centres, but this is not a common habit.
- Items To Make Your Room Feel Like Home
- You could be allowed to bring in your own bedding, pillows and some other stuff to make your room more comfortable.
- Don't pack any of these objects without contacting your clinic first.
Will I Retrieve Forbidden Items That I Accidently Take To The Clinic
If you arrive at the centres with some prohibited items without realisation you do not have to remain concerned. The personnel will just endorse it to your accompanying friend or loved one. Someone you trust can also come to pick them up from the facility. In some cases, the centres may decide to store the items for you until your departure.
There are higher probabilities that you will go to a clinic alone if you reached the centre by plane. You should check with the centre what items are allowed and what are not before packing. You also need to be sure of the safety of your items if they are not allowed inside the facility. If the centres do not store the items, you can ask them to ship them back for you.
Packing For Rehab If you have doubts about some object review your clinic's regulations. Facilitate the application process by reviewing the packing checklist of your clinic's website. The best thing is to make sure that you have essential stuff with you.
Find Support Now
There are a lot of facilities that permits you to personal items to decorate or personalize your space. Look for top clinics that can suite your necessities with the support of our therapy experts.
We can help you find the best centre, call us today on 0800 246 1509.