Drug Addiction In College Campuses
Common problems on college campuses which are noticed are binge drinking, prescription and recreational drug abuse that is popular.
One of the bigger groups of substance addicts countrywide are college pupils.
These college students are the population ages 18-24 who were exposed to greater chances of addiction.
It is common for many students to come across problems of natural social anxiety when they begin life in college. The temptation to consume alcohol is strong primarily because students overwhelmingly believe that alcohol makes it easier for them to socialise. A good number of pupils falls into dependence of drugs and booze after these become part of a habitual form of enjoying life.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Why College Students Turn To Drug Use
There are many reasons why so many college students become addicted to drugs and alcohol
- For students dealing with the stress of coursework, part time jobs, internships and the likes many students turn to drugs as a coping mechanism.
- Course Work
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- More often than not, commonly abused stimulants like Adderall are acquired without a genuine prescription.
- Being Interested In Something New
- It is a common habit among college students to explore the new aspects of life both in personal and professional realms.
- Trying drugs is part of these new phases.
- Social Pressure
- Students who are surrounded by their seniors who could be experimenting with recreational and performance-enhancing drugs are more than likely to attempt to use these substances for themselves.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Diet Pills And Eating Disorders At College
Eating disorders are highly common among college students who are considered to be at an elevated risk in the development of such problems.
There was a survey done by the National Institute of Mental Health that shows majority of these students suffer from some eating problem. Over the last two decades men and women who are affected by an eating disorder has shown a tremendous growth, and this number is alarmingly constantly on the rise. In an effort to loose some pounds, they resort to the use of weight loss pills. This diet pill use is linked to common health issues and even cause death. There is information about the effects that come with the use of these drugs.
Popular Drugs Among College Students
There is no drug available with the immunity for college experimentation, and this is simply because trends have been changing constantly over a period of time.
A few substances, however, have been abused constantly by college students. The examples are
- In most of the colleges, liquor is the most abused substance.
- It is also tricky to tell if a student is addicted to liquor or not because it is something that is used in many social events.
- On the other hand, Adderall also popularly known as the study drug, it is the choice prescription drug for staying awake among students.
- Many students are using Marijuana as talks about legalizing it are becoming popular.
- There are campuses in which the number one abused substance among students is Marijuana, not alcohol.
- Ecstasy which became popular during the 90s is presently making a resurgence during the past few years in its pure form and is known as MDMA or Molly.
- Students in college are within the target age range for this "party drug" that is often abused by teenagers and young adults in their 20s.
- MDMA is widely abused at raves and gigs.
Alcohol Effects On College Students
Alcohol gained its notoriety as the most popular and legally accessible substance among college students. Alcohol is always present in all the social gatherings in the colleges.
This means that the people in these colleges will end up taking more alcohol compared to their agemates that are not in these institutions.
Four out of five college students consume alcohol during their time in college.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. Unmoderated alcohol drinking is not only detrimental to the drinker but also to other people in terms of troubles and violence it causes. The students in higher institutions are always educated about the dangers of alcohol.
Abuse And Greek Life
Despite attempts by fraternities and sororities to create a family environment for college students in their perusal of academic and philanthropic endeavours consumption of alcohol and drug abuse within the Greek system are more common than students outside the system.
Adderall is one of the most overused prescription substances within fraternities and sororities, way more than students outside the Greek system.
Seek Assistance For Your Drug Or Alcohol Addiction
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. Our addiction specialists can get you in touch with caring and experienced counsellors to help you overcome this problem. We invite you to contact us on 0800 246 1509 so that we can help you get over your addiction and reclaim your life.