Moving From Rehab To Typical Life
Achieving sobriety is definitely an accomplishment which is incredible. However, remaining sober is another challenge by itself. Identifying new activities to do will help a person keep away from the drugs.
It is easier to stay clean in a rehab centre because the environment is controlled, devoid of any factors that had earlier pushed toward addiction.
A rehab centre not only gives you a great chance to achieve sobriety but also equips you with knowledge, tools, and strategies to stay sober once you are back in the real world.
Graduating from rehab can be very encouraging and light yet it also brings new challenges in maintaining the new found sobriety.
It is possible for you to attain prevention and coping with the initiators by getting to know them well. Staying sober after leaving the facility becomes easier because of the education.
Managing Urges And Triggers Post Rehabilitation
Transitioning from rehab back to normal daily life can be challenging.
Time and again you may encounter situations where your commitment to sobriety is being tested.
Finding yourself in old familiar places, situations and people that bring back those negative emotions may drive you back to the old habits.
Here are few things you can engage in as distractions to manage triggers
- Establish A Support System
- Find yourself among positive friends and loved ones who genuinely care for your welfare.
- Locate a support group within your area or even someone you can rely upon to call when you feel the temptations again.
- Make Positive Changes To Your Lifestyle
- Ensure your house is free of any traces of drugs before you move into it after completing rehab.
- Manage to stay away or redesign rooms or places to avoid rekindling old feelings that may trigger your substance abuse.
- Set Goals For The Future
- Some support the idea that setting objectives or new plans for the future could help you become stronger in resisting urges or temptations.
- It will be easier for you to remain on track when you have understood the reasons why you want to stay composed along with all the benefits the sobriety can bring into your life.
- Religiously Attend Post-Rehab Treatment Schedules
- In case you are supposed to meet your physician or counsellor, ensure you don't miss them.
- Help from doctors and rehabilitation centres are important to sustain abstinence although sometimes they seem like lots of stress and you might be tempted to skip.
- Find a reason every day to be thankful for the accomplishment you have achieved.
- Recognition of good things we have going for us is more possible when we have a grateful heart.
- You can keep a journal of your life's journey throughout the days that you have left the rehab facility.
- Create Fresh Healthy Habits, Replace The Old Ones
- A study which has been published in the European Journal Of Social Psychology provides information that it can take in excess of two months before a fresh habit can become habitual, and therefore, you will be required to find a new and a positive habit which you enjoy and stay with it without exceptions.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Partake In Sober Activities Instead Of Using
It is crucial to change old activities and lifestyles to fresh activities during treatment.
In the absence of alcohol and other substances, non-indulgent habits can still be interesting.
For help with staying sober post rehab, or if you need to go back, contact us on 0800 246 1509.
The following are some of the things you can take part in
- Involvement in athletics
- Spending time in museum
- Join online classes
- Learn a new language
- Plant a garden
- Offer humanitarian services
Enlist In Community Support Services
It will not be difficult for you to find positive outlets that can provide community and support during your life after the rehab regardless of where you are living. Become part of such a group by enrolling into a support group and group therapy.
The 12 stages programs, counselling sessions and Narcotics Anonymous are some of the support groups that you can join today.
Chances Of Partying And Going To Bars Without Touching Alcohol
If you've achieved sobriety only recently, staying away from places where you might be tempted to drink is the best policy. Replacing old habits can take time and that's why people who have just achieved sobriety find it much harder to resist temptation.
In cases where you are cornered to deal with alcohol, you may just be able to save yourself from it.
Methods to Avoid Temptations In Social Settings
- Surround yourselves with people that can be trusted and visit the setting with a sober friend.
- Drink beverages free of alcohol and keep a glass of such a drink in your hand all the time.
- Minimise the time you spend within the party by arriving late or leaving early.
- Depart immediately if you begin to feel uncomfortable or tempted.
Why It Is Necessary To Get Sober And Remain That Way
Better state of the circulatory and hepatic systems, abundance of energy, and ability to rest well are some of the numerous health merits. Embarking on a sober life is definitely worth the difficulty and the reasons go far beyond the physical benefits which will become attainable. This include
- Make new, clean friends
- Spend less money
- Enjoyment of living
- Ability to focus on other pleasurable activities
- Dressing nice and smart
- Being a mentor for people that are also trying to stop the use of drugs
Giving up an addiction, whether of alcohol or any other drug, is the most difficult thing. The process will not be fast or seamless, and it is a lifelong commitment. Simply by making an effort to remain sober you will have acquired new strength by overcoming the problems that you thought you would not be able to achieve.
Every journey always begins with a small step in the right direction. When you begin to feel the temptations to revert back to your old habits, you must make an effort to remember why you wanted to achieve sobriety in the first place.